Monday, November 17, 2008

Reasons I Should Stop Buying More Things

1. I haven't yet been harangued by my delightful bosses to work every single hour of every single working day on top of every single weekend. Yet. Therefore, I don't quite have the endless amount of cash I seem to presume I have at my disposal to fling at every sales assistant who crosses my path.

2. I need to stop buying food or coffee or other things to put in my mouth on a whim because I think I'm hungry or caffeine-deprived or orally-fixated. Apparently, there's a difference between thinking that and actually needing to eat or drink or orally-occupy myself.

3. I really don't have an actual need for multiple packs of scented candles...or cooling peppermint spray...or grapeseed shower gel. And this is just from my Body Shop sprees. Then, there's the fluoro orange sports bra that I have yet to wear, the gigantic pink rock ring that's gathering dust in my jewellery box, the casette music adaptor for my non-existent car, the ever-growing pile of books and DVDs that seem to lose their appeal as soon as they hit my shelves, the bright yellow 'does this make me look like a clown?' dress that has only served to brighten up my wardrobe thus far and the pair of shoes that were supposed to be so good to my feet during 8-hour work shifts but have never made it out of the box they were packed into since the move. The move. In July. I think, and this is just a sneaking suspicion on my part here and I don't really have any authority on the matter but, I might just be a hoarder. And a burgeoning shop-a-holic.

4. I think I'm single-handedly contributing far more than my fair share of destruction to the planet. The amount of plastic bags (in all manner of sizes and colour!), plastic wrapping, paper sacks, tissue paper and receipts I have been handed alone in the past three months is alarming when they gather together. Also known as when I finally get around to unearthing my floor and realise that the layer of paper and plastic debris was not actually artistic carpeting of any sort. I'm not claiming to be spokesperson for Greenpeace or anything but I'm not sure my conscience is completed unaffected by this level of eco-unfriendly debauchery of consumerism!

5. The endorphin rush doesn't last that long. It's quite disappointing really. And the comedown sucks, especially when I compare my payslips to my bank statements.

No comments: